Thursday, November 11, 2010

Defining oneself

How do you define define?

To me its description, relation, explanation - etc. How do you define yourself? For some odd reason I have been thinking about how I define myself a lot recently. Maybe its the fact that Im very much stuck in my mid-twenties. Regardless, I have been defining myself in various ways. I have defined myself by my education. I am not married, nor am I anywhere close to that point. I do not have children. I am not in my career. My education is who I am. I am not the wife, the mother, or the career woman - etc. I am the forever student who is married to her education, gave birth to her education, and who works her tail off for it.

Up until yesterday I defined myself by my education.

I was talking with my boyfriend and I asked how he defined himself. His answer was unbelievable. He didnt define his "roles" in life. More so defined his personalty traits. I told him my definition of myself. "My education defines me" I said. He looked at me like I was crazy. He told me how he would define me. It really made me think.

So now as I sit at this computer with piles of school paper next to me, a work phone ringing off the hook, and a to do list like you have never seen before, I realize that school does not define me. It is very very important to me. At this point in my education I pretty much sleep and breathe it. But it is not who I am. It is helping me to become who I will be. So Im still thinking of ways to define me. But I will say one...so freaking fierce.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think that any ONE thing defines us. As we get older, our lives become more three dimensional. We play many different roles. Different things become important at different times.

    Interesting that you guys had a conversation about how to define yourself. I think my definition is ever-changing and fluid. Ask anybody who knows me "What is Stephanie like?" or "Who exactly is Stephanie Walker?" and different people will have different answers based on their interactions with me... but is that how I define myself? And most importantly, is my definition in line with what everyone else thinks? Who knows. Perception is a funny thing.

    I think the real question is "What is important to you in life?"

    ReplyDelete